(Main speaker) David Greenspan, Sr. Director Legal and Business Affairs, NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. and Adjunct Professor at Santa Clara University School of Law.
Andrea Yelle, Head of Talent, Forshay and former Head of HR, Lucasfilm Ltd.
I. Legal Issues Common in The Video Game Industry
1. Right of Publicity (NFL, NCAA)
2. Labor Law
3. Intellectual Property Law
II. Video games have become very detailed and much better resulting in an increase in IP issues. Rights, licensing and approval become even more important.
III. The games industry in the USA is valued at $30-100million and still growing. It is an exciting but high risks industry where publishers are being squeezed out. Digital and mobile creating even more opportunities.
Opportunities for Young Lawyers
1. Find opportunities in house or with law firms.
4. Know the names of colleagues in law school sitting next to you because they may be someone important in the long run.
5. Know the industry you want to get into
Courses to Take
1. Contract drafting
2. Entertainment Law
3. IP Courses
4. Patent Law
5. Advanced Negotiating
6. International Business Law/Transaction
Basically courses relevant to the game industry.