With the legal job market being quite tough here in the states, I encourage attorneys, especially those with an African connection or love for Africa, who meet Google’s qualifications to apply.
“The area: Legal
Google Legal is a close-knit team of lawyers and legal professionals who operate on a truly global stage. We take pride in working for a company with a clear mission (“to organise the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful”) and a real soul (“don’t be evil”). Google’s innovative services raise challenging legal questions that demand creative and practical answers. We work at the crossroads of new technologies and existing laws to provide those answers, helping Google build innovative and important products for our users around the world. If this sounds like your kind of place, it probably is.
The role: Legal Counsel, Sub-Saharan Africa
You’ll play a vital role in our growing team by advising the company on a wide range of legal issues throughout the Sub-Saharan African region. You are a technology lawyer by heart and experience; a fully qualified lawyer in the US or the United Kingdom and preferably you are also a fully qualified lawyer in a Sub-Saharan African country. You will be required to explain complex local legal issues to business, product and engineering colleagues and shape a pragmatic and efficient legal strategy for all of their projects.
Additionally, you’ll collaborate with Google Legal teams throughout Europe and the US, to provide legal advice and coordinate legal disputes with internal and external stakeholders. You’re hardworking, patient and an outstanding communicator; able to produce high-quality work in a flexible, fast-paced environment. A deep understanding of Google’s business and the ability to think quickly and practically are essential attributes for this job.
* Oversee the entire spectrum of legal work in the Sub-Saharan African region.
* Advise the regional business, product and engineering teams. Consult with other members of Google Legal on any number of challenging legal issues, whether commercial or contentious.
* Draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements (including content licensing, advertising, online application licensing, mobile distribution and syndication agreements).
* Prevent and resolve legal disputes.
* Represent Google before legal and regulatory stakeholders.
* BA/BSc/LLB degree preferred with a strong academic record.
* Qualified lawyer with dual qualification in the US or UK and in another country in the Sub-Saharan African region preferred.
* Strong business judgement and ability to build relationships cross-functionally and across multiple geographies.
* Excellent written and oral skills in English.
* Hard working, organised and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
* Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
* Flexibility (including some travel), willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters, and a sense of humour!
FASHIONENTLAW blog, authored by Ms. Uduak, was first established in 2010. It is now incorporated, in 2021, as part of the FASHIONENTLAW LAW FIRM blog. The blog is for informational purposes only and provides legal commentary and analysis on the intersection of mainstream America pop culture and the law. It also provides updates on Ms. Uduak’s speaking engagements and press activities. For inquiries on topics covered please email (email@example.com).